INVESTIGATORS in the attempt on the life of Barangay 3 councilman Jonathan Borja said they are looking at personal grudge as motive after learning that the village official has received death threats prior to the shooting incident at 6th to 18th streets, Nazareth, Cagayan de Oro City Friday, November 23.
Senior Inspector Mario Mantala, police station 9 commander, said investigators already have persons of interest and links leading to the identity of the people behind the failed assassination attempt.
Borja was wounded after being shot by motorcycle-riding gunmen while driving his car. He managed to drive to a private hospital to get immediate treatment.
"Duna siya'y threat daan taod-taod na pero nigrabe siya last week ug abi niya dili tinuod. Mismo siya makatumbok sa mga involved sa pagpusil (He received death threats but it became worse last week. he thought it was not true. He, himself, could point out the involved in the shooting)," Mantala said.
Mantala said the death threats were made through indirect person and text messages.
"Giingnan siya nga pagbantay ug pagdala og armas (He was told to be cautious and bring with him firearms)," he added.
The police station chief also said they would look into whether the shooting was carried out by gun-for-hire suspects.
Superintendent Mardy Hortillosa II, spokesperson of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo), said the city police has yet to establish whether the two shooting incidents in less than a week were related.
Superintendent Michael John Deloso, deputy chief of the Regional Police Strategy Management Unit (RPMSU), was also shot by unidentified assailants three days before the attempt on the life of the village leader.
Investigation in both incidents is still ongoing.
"Wala pa tay ebidensya kung related o dili ang duha kay wala paman tay insakto nga impormasyon regarding sa duha ka insidente (We don’t have evidence yet if the two are related or not. We lack exact information regarding the two incidents),” Hortillosa said.