SMOKE, sweat, sun, stress and pollution add to our daily grind. But for our skin and hair, it’s a daily battle. Daily exposure can take its toll and gradually contribute to physical stress leading to dull, lifeless looking skin and hair.
So here are easy, affordable home remedies that will help you erase signs of stress.
To lighten dark undereye circles
1. Tea bags – After drinking your favorite green tea, don’t throw the tea bags away. Instead place them inside the refrigerator to cool and then put them on closed eyes to relieve eye stress.
Green tea bags can help lighten the appearance of dark undereye circles.
2. Cucumber – This age-old, classic eye stress reliever and eyebag lightener is popular for a good reason. It’s cheap and easy to do and very affordable. Place cucumbers inside the refrigerator before placing on closed eyelids for a cooler sensation.
To make facial skin look brighter
1. Do-it-yourself (DIY) egg white and lemon mask – Egg whites help tighten pores while lemons help detoxify and exfoliate skin, making you look instantly brighter afterwards. Mix egg white and a tablespoon of lemon in a bowl and gently apply on face using a soft flat brush. Let dry and rinse using cold water.
2. DIY blackheads and whiteheads remover – in a pot, bring clean water to a slow boil until it’s steaming. Carefully place your head near the pot opening and have your face steamed to open up your pores. Then, take a face brush or face towel to gently scrub off blackheads and whiteheads focusing on the nose area. Rub ice cubes on skin or rinse with cold water to close pores again.
To lighten lip color and get rid of chapped lips
1. DIY lemon and sugar scrub – cut one lemon in half. Take one half and dip in brown sugar. Then scrub gently on lips. Rinse well.
To improve appearance of skin
1. Pineapple and papaya fruit peels – Rub these all over the body to exfoliate and lighten, especially on feet to soften calluses.
To soften feet calluses
1. Soak feet in lukewarm water with your choice of gentle hair conditioner and then scrub.
To improve hair
1. Soak hair in pure coconut milk. Cover with towel or shower cap for 15-20 minutes and then rinse.
Coconut milk helps improve hair growth and make hair strands look thicker, shinier, and healthier.
2. Use virgin coconut oil as hair mask. Rinse after 20 minutes or leave on overnight. This repairs and protects hair from damage, making it ideal to do before coloring or bleaching.
To improve digestion and appearance of skin and hair
1. Drink detox lemon water. Add one to two slices of lemon in a pitcher or tumbler of water. You can also add your choice of fruits.
To whiten teeth
1. Do you rely on coffee or tea to keep you awake? They also make teeth look yellow. To whiten, dip your damp toothbrush on baking soda and brush this on the teeth. Let it stay for five minutes and then rinse. Repeat 2-3x weekly for optimum results alongside your choice of whitening toothpaste.
One should always look good and feel good in order to give his or her best at work or in school.
Andrea Isabelle Mejos is a young writer from Davao. She likes to seek beauty from all angles