SECTIONS
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
CEBU

Piggeries shut down, warned

THE Mandaue City Government temporarily closed down a large-scale piggery and issued a notice of warning to another after they were found to have released their waste to the Butuanon River and Cansaga Bay.

The first piggery, located in Barangay Paknaan, paid the penalty set by the City against them and was required to submit to the Mandaue City Environment and Natural Resources Office (MCenro) its waste disposal plan before the end of the month.

MCenro head Araceli Barlam said the waste disposal plan will help the City monitor the piggery’s compliance with environmental rules next year.

The second piggery in Barangay Jagobiao was also issued a written notice of its violations.

Barlam said they are closely coordinating with the Consolacion Municipal Government as the piggery is at the two local government units’ boundary.

Barlam refused to divulge the names of the two establishments as they were first given a chance to improve their waste disposal systems.

She warned establishments that they are monitoring not only those situated near the city’s major bodies of water.

Aside from big piggeries, MCencro is also conducting regular information, education, and communication campaigns in small household piggeries on how to properly dispose of their waste.

“Nakasabot man ta nga ila usab na nga panginabuhian. Apan mao na ato gipahinumduman nga di nila kalimtan nga siguruon nga di sila makaguba sa kalikupan (We understand that this is their way of earning a living, but we are reminding them to not forget that what they’re doing could affect their surroundings),” Barlam said in a press conference on Monday, Dec. 3.

Following the 4th International River Summit held in Mandaue City last week, the City Government has continued its programs in rehabilitating the Butuanon River, especially its pilot areas in Barangays Alang-Alang, Ibabao-Estancia and Paknaan.

On Friday, Dec. 7, the Butuanon River Rehabilitation ad hoc committee led by Mandaue City Vice Mayor Carlo Fortuna is set to meet to discuss the possibility of adding more developments along the city’s major river. (from FMD of SuperBalita Cebu/JKV)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!