SECTIONS
Wednesday, August 21, 2019
BACOLOD

Guv pushes for more skills development programs

RECOGNIZING the demand for skills-based employment especially abroad, Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. is pushing for more skills development programs in the province.

Addressing the students and alumni of the provincial government-run Negros Occidental Language and Information Technology (NOLITC) during its annual summit recently, Marañon said they hope to acquire more support from the Technical Educational and Skills Development Authority (Tesda).

“Skills development should be given priority as many are needing this,” he said, adding that based on statistics “only 10 percent of the high school graduates go to college, so what shall we do with the remaining 90 percent?”

The governor, in his speech, stressed that the country’s educational system has three levels namely primary, secondary, and tertiary including vocational.

Marañon said that all over the world there is a big need for workers with “skills.” There is a need for caregivers in Japan, Europe, and Australia.

These are on top of skilled worker and for other sectors like tourism, he said.

“If I my way, I will put more budget on skills development programs like that of Tesda. This is really what we need.”

Taking pride in the achievement of NOLITC particularly on being able to produce about 4,000 successful graduates already in six years, the governor reiterated that quality education is the greatest equalizer.

“You do not need to be a teacher, engineer, lawyer, and doctor. Instead, you must gain skills, because skills is education itself,” Marañon noted.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph