THE simultaneous law enforcement operations of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) over the weekend led to the arrest of 44 persons.
The operation, previously called saturation drive, was conducted from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday, December 15, by all police stations in the city.
Police arrested 14 people who have standing warrants of arrest. The warrants of arrest against five other wanted persons nabbed are still subject for verification.
Operatives also arrested a man for illegal possession of firearms while two drug suspects were nabbed during a buy-bust operation.
Also, 22 people, mostly women, were also apprehended for violation of city ordinances such as anti-loitering, among others.
Police said some of them may only be reprimanded while others may face charges.
"Yung iba kasi baka victim ng prostitution so we will check if ano yung mga activities nila," City Police director Senior Superintendent Nelson Aganon said.
Aganon said the peace and order drive was meant to intensify security measures especially for Christmas and the midterm elections in May 2019.
"Ang concept is to conduct law enforcement operation sa areas na posible taguan ng mga criminal at mga illegal contraband," Aganon said.
Some 18 suspicious motorcycles with no documents were also seized to verify whether these were stolen or used in criminal activities.
"Posible kasi kung walang rehistro it’s either carnap or nagamit sa krimen. May domino effect ito sa would-be suspect kasi lahat na approach ginagawa natin to curtail the movement sa possible suspect na gustong i-maximize ang yuletide season," he added.
Aganon said those who were arrested by virtue of arrest warrants are facing drugs, robbery, homicide, and frustrated murder charges.
The city's top police official said targets in this one-time big-time operation were held under surveillance as their movements were monitored before the operation.
"Di kasi sila nag stay sa isang lugar lang palipat-lipat sila so timing yung hinintay natin at before sa jump off sighted na sila at monitored na walang galawan sa date ng operation," Aganon said.
"Di tayo nag-impose ng quota at wala din tayong reward na binigay sa bawat police station," he added.
Aganon said investigators will also look into whether the arrested suspects have links or involvement in other criminal activities.
Police also seized five video karera machines during the operation which are all subject for destruction.
Aganon said he will look into whether there are policemen protecting the operation of video karera in the city.
"We will check kung sino ang protector (whether police or barangay official) kung bakit nagkaroon ng ganyan sa barangay then we will file charges,"Aganon said.
Aganon said more peace and order drive will happen in the future as they intensify intelligence operation.
"It will be our practice para malinis natin yung pinagpupugaran ng mga criminal at ma-account natin yung mga wanted person para mabigyan natin ng justice yung mga complainants and also madala natin ang mga suspects sa korte at mabigyan sila ng chance to defend themselves," Aganon said.
"We mean business here," he added.