A lively tourism sector

DESPITE the extended martial law in Mindanao, Davao City's tourism sector enjoyed a fruitful 2018.

“Last year, we had 2.01 million arrivals. From January to November this year we already recorded 2.17 million,” Generose Tecson, Davao City Tourism Operations Office head, said in a phone interview with SunStar Davao.

Tecson added that 14 percent of the tourism is composed of foreign tourists from United States of America, Japan, China, and Korea. While the other 86 percent are domestic tourists.

“They saw our city is really peaceful and [when] you can see security forces around you, you feel safer,” she added.

Tecson said among the reasons why there are tourists coming to the city are either they want to explore the hidden beauty of the city or they came here for conventions and other events.

She said the most visited places in Davao City are the Philippine Eagle Foundation and Malagos Garden Resort, both located in Malagos, Calinan; Eden Nature Park and Resort in Toril; Museo Dabawenyo along Corner A.Pichon (formerly Magallanes) Street and Claro M. Recto Street; D'Bone Collector Museum along San Pedro Street; and Crocodile Park's Davao White Water Rafting.

Tecson said after Davao City, most of the tourists will come to Island Garden City of Samal (Igacos) to enjoy its beautiful and relaxing beaches.

“I hope that [we will] continue to grow not only in numbers but in terms of quality and we're hoping that there's more investments on hotels and convention facilities that will come in,” she said.


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!