SECTIONS
Wednesday, June 26, 2019
BACOLOD

Council approves P1.7-B appropriation ordinance

THE Bacolod City Council approved the P1.7-billion appropriation ordinance to fund the city’s flagship projects.

The ordinance was approved during their regular session on Wednesday, December 19.

Those who voted in favor of the ordinance were Councilors Caesar Distrito, Em Ang, Cindy Rojas, Dindo Ramos, Bartolome Orola, Renecito Novero, Elmer Sy, Sonya Verdeflor, Ayesha Villaflor, and Lady Gles Gonzales.

Councilors Wilson Gamboa Jr. and Claudio Puentevella opposed the move while Councilors Ricardo Tan and Ana Marie Palermo were on official leave.

Distrito said on Wednesday they had already a certification from the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) that the loan is available and certification from City Treasurer’s Office that due to the approval and ratification of the loan term agreement, the loan from the DBP has been already approved.

“By virtue of those notices and documents, we have to approve the last act before the bidding, which is the Appropriation Ordinance,” he said.

Distrito explained that under the law, there could be no spending of government funds without the Appropriation Ordinance approved by the City Council.

In May, the City Council authorized Mayor Evelio Leonardia to explore and negotiate with the National Government to provide loan for the six flagships projects of the city.

They authorized the mayor to negotiate with the Department of Finance–Medium-term Development Fund Financial Assistance or any government banking or financial institution to fund the city’s projects.

These projects are Progreso Village Relocation Site with the budget of P350 million; Bacolod City College Site Development and Facilities, P350 million; Bacolod MassKara Coliseum, P800 million; and the construction of roads and bridges, P200 million

“This is the last step so that the city’s flagship projects will be implemented. Since it’s already approved, we expect that the bidding process would proceed for the city’s flagship projects,” Distrito said.

He said the ball now is in the hands of the city’s executive to convene the Bids and Awards Committee to conduct the bidding for the implementation of these projects.

Gamboa earlier said he manifested his objection because it was only on November 21 during their regular session that the City Council received a “pro-forma contract” with the DBP with no available information such as interest, terms of payment, the manner of payment, penalties, among others. (MAP)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph