THIS “Christmas song” is different from the rest because it sings of practical wishes.
I randomly interviewed some 100 peers and students on what they prayed for this 2019. Aside from the usual wishes for peace, health, family and success, I found the following very realistic: (Quoted verbatim)
- More humane doctors; lesser professional fees and affordable prescribed medicines; less hours of waiting in clinic.
- Better hospital facilities; no entrance fees for emergency; better trained and service- oriented nurses and staff.
- Honest police and traffic officers. One lane for motorcycle.
- More competent teachers.
- Lower tuition fees; better school facilities; cut unnecessary expenses like expensive projects; outings and books.
- Cleaner surroundings with better home and garbage disposal/collection.
- No more exorbitant fuel, electric and water fees.
- Less floods. Better drainage in roads.
- Health food; cheaper groceries. Easy access of senior citizens in restaurants and supermarkets.
- Less politics but more nationalistic leaders to curb graft and corruption.
Tall orders, indeed! But most of these wishes are attainable.