BAGUIO

Firecracker-related injuries down in Cordillera

BENGUET. Customers purchase pyrotechnic devices from stalls along Marcos Highway in Poblacion, Tuba, Benguet before the New Year revelry. Baguio City, Ifugao, Benguet, and Mountain Province had zero casualty during the New Year celebration. (Photo by Jean Nicole Cortes)

THE Police Regional Office Cordillera (PRO–Cor) and the Department of Health regional office recorded a 53-percent reduction in firecracker-related incidents in the region from December 16, 2018 to January 1, 2019 compared to the same period last year.

Chief Superintendent Rolando Nana, PRO-Cor regional director, said the stronger campaign of the PNP against illegal firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices and the 24-hour patrolling by police particularly on Christmas and New Year’s Eve contributed to the reduction in firecracker-related incidents in the region.

PRO-Cor recorded only nine incidents in the region from December 16, 2018 to January 1, 2019 compared to 19 incidents logged from December 16, 2017 to January 1, 2018.

All the nine victims, with ages from 7 to 34, sustained minor injuries from illegal firecrackers like boga, bawang, kwitis, piccolo and 5-star.

Meanwhile, Kalinga police arrested John Lerry Tuboran, 26, and Aznodine Sulta, 23, after they were caught selling illegal firecrackers in Dagupan Sentro, Tabuk City.

Confiscated from the suspects were 14 packs of pla-pla containing 100 pieces each.

The suspects are now under the custody of the police. They will be charged with violating Republic Act 7183.

In Baguio City, police confiscated 140 pieces of luces, 500 pieces 5-star, 19 pieces of various fountains, 192 pieces of sparklers, 400 pieces of piccolo, and nine boxes of party pack fireworks.

Nana said there is an order to all field commanders to closely monitor the sale of illegal firecrackers in the region while the campaign on loose firearms of the PNP and the 100 percent personnel on duty during the Christmas and New Year’s Eve also helped in having a zero incident on indiscriminate firing.

Last year, only one incident of indiscriminate firing was reported and the suspect was arrested.

Nana added that PRO-Cor will remain on full alert and will closely work with DOH in continuously monitoring firecracker-related incidents.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph