THOSE who are planning to dance the night away along the streets near the Sinulog grand parade route will have to take their activities somewhere else.

To keep the Sinulog festival peaceful and orderly, vendors and business establishments in Cebu City are banned from creating loud, disturbing music and sights along the Sinulog parade and procession route.

Mayor Tomas Osmeña on Friday, Jan. 4 signed an executive order (EO) implementing a temporary entertainment ban on Sunday, Jan. 20. A copy of the order was posted in Osmeña’s official Facebook page last Friday.

EO 44 prohibits the holding of concerts, shows, performances, gigs, events, street parties and other similar activities that require putting up or using loud speakers.

“The aforementioned activities are also prohibited along Escario St. starting from the Provincial Capitol Building up to the intersection of Gorordo Ave.,” reads a portion of the order.

Establishments, though, that are located outside of the carousel route and Escario St. may organize these activities, provide that they secure a special permit.

The special permit shall include the recommendation and endorsement of the City Traffic Office, Philippine National Police, Bureau of Fire Protection, City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, the deputy mayor for police matters (Councilor Dave Tumulak), and the approval of the mayor.

Upon the application of the special permit, the organizer will also have to submit a security plan and an undertaking to provide a fully-staffed medical triage that will function for the duration of the event and four hours thereafter.

Aside from the entertainment ban, the selling and drinking of intoxicating liquor are also prohibited along the grand parade route from 6 a.m. of Jan. 20 (Sunday) until 6 a.m. of Jan. 21 (Monday).

The liquor ban shall also apply on Escario St., starting from the Cebu Provincial Capitol Building up to the intersection of Gorordo Ave. as this road serves as an alternative route for vehicles during Sinulog.

Business establishments along the grand parade and procession routes are also not allowed to set up tables and chairs outside their respective premises, including their parking spaces to accommodate more customers.

The regulation will be in effect from Jan. 18 to 20 (Friday to Sunday), and all other days that the City Government so declares.

Regardless of whether the establishment is located along the parade route or on Escario St., business owners are not allowed to convert their parking spaces into “party zones.”

Meanwhile, those who intend to exclusively sell potable bottled water are not required to apply for any permit.

Provided, though, that the product is placed in a clear and sealed plastic bottle; that the vendor will be mobile and will not stay in one place; and that vendors will not keep their goods in areas that may block pedestrians.

In an interview last Saturday, Jan. 5, Councilor Tumulak asked the public to cooperate and be mindful of the 300-meter radius liquor ban. The same regulation was also implemented during last year’s Sinulog celebration.

“This is a big help. If there’s no drinking, we’ll be able to clean quickly. In 2018, the Sinulog was ok because it was peaceful. Hopefully, this 2019, our celebration will still be peaceful and orderly,” he said.

Tumulak, who is also Sinulog executive committee head, said that those who wish to attend concerts, especially youngsters, may go to malls which were designated by the City as areas for ravers.

He added that the City Government will continue to closely monitor Juana Osmeña St. since the area has been notorious for its rowdy parties in the past Sinulog festivals. RTF