SECTIONS
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
BAGUIO

Councilor to inspect convention center work

BAGUIO. With the assurance the rehabilitation for the Baguio Convention Center be finished by March, Councilor Mylen Yaranon is calling for the inspection to assess progress the DPWH has made in the almost a year of work in the area. (Jean Nicole Cortes)

BAGUIO City Councilor Mylen Yaranon is set to inspect work at the Baguio Convention Center (BCC).

Before issues surrounding the convention center will be raised to Department of Public Works and Highways secretary Mark Villar, Yaranon said an inspection is needed to assess the progress the DPWH has made in the almost a year of work in the area.

Yaranon said a letter to Villar is still an option if they are not satisfied with the work seen at the convention center as well as explanations yet to be given by the DPWH.

The DPWH in a progress report made December 15 said completion of rehabilitation work is eyed by March 2019 with almost 42 percent of work complete.

Winning bidder, EGB Construction/Spiderone Construction Company originally targeted February for the completion but cited certain issues which cause delay in the project.

Scope of work included removal of drainage pipes and obstruction while for the finishing and civil work needs installation of new pipes, plumbing fixtures, lighting, elevator and fire alarm system to be included.

Basement work includes the installation of ceiling frames, plastering of posts, installation of sprinkler system and the formworks for cistern tanks.

Work on the main hall include the installation of scaffolding and I-beams and welding work, while for the second floor, installation of ceiling frames and electrical wiring is being done.

Before work was done, the DPWH noted the convention center’s interior had flickering lights, unsanitary comfort rooms with the roof and wall having cracks.

Yaranon is still contesting the DPWH plans saying no explanations has been made by the department on why it has not followed plans made by the city experts for the convention center.

A request made by Yaranon as well as Mayor Mauricio Domogan to the DPWH to justify why plans made by the city technical working group has not been used, have been left unanswered.

Dialogue with the city has also not been made.

Previously, DPWH regional director Tiborcio Canlas stood by the decision made by the agency saying work will proceed as planned.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!