TWO Mabalacat City councilors filed before the Office of the Ombudsman charges of technical malversation of public funds against their mayor, Crisostomo Garbo, in connection with the compensation of the city government's 2,750 job order employees.
Councilors Jerry Basilio and Rogelio "Jeng" Yumul said they filed the case on January 4, 2019 against the city mayor who allegedly misused the funds intended for the JOs' salaries.
Basilio and Yumul were guests in the regular media forum Talk Widus on Wednesday at the Widus Hotel and Casino.
Accordingly, the two alleged that the City Government failed to give the job order employees' compensation since November last year.
In August last year, Vice-Mayor Christian Halili said the City Council approved Garbo's P70-million supplemental budget which include the compensation of the employees until December of 2018.
After a month, Garbo asked the council to approve another P200-million supplemental budget which also included the compensation of JOs, according to Halili.
Halili said they cannot approve a budget twice with the same purpose and use.
The city mayor earlier blamed the City Council for allegedly delaying the approval of the supplemental budget.
Basilio said they were forced to file the case against Garbo "who keeps on blaming the Sangguniang Panlungsod members for the issue."
Halili also asked Garbo to explain why the local government is paying as much as P50,000 each for its more than 300 special rate employees.
The vice-mayor suspected that the funds intended for the JOs were used to compensate the City Government's special rate employees.