BAGUIO City Mayor Mauricio Domogan announced the opening of Kennon road in time for the Flower Festival parades.
Domogan said a memorandum of agreement was signed with the Office of Civil Defense on the opening of the historic road at the end of February in time for the Philippine Military Academy alumni homecoming and the March 3 and 4 Panagbenga parades.
The mayor said OCD has agreed to open the road for residents and light vehicles with guidelines to follow for everyone’s safety.
Domogan added the opening of the road will also help ease traffic congestion which has become a top concern for the city.
Kennon Road at present has nine critical sections aside from the Camp 5 Bridge undergoing rehabilitation which was destroyed during the onset of Typhoon Ompong.
Domogan said guidelines include a system to identify bonafide residents of the area who will be allowed to go in and out without hassle.
The chief executive added the agreement states only light vehicles will be allowed to traverse the area with emergency, traffic and medical personnel on standby at all times to assure safety.
Previously, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) stated the Central Office released P12 million for Camp 6 and P10 million for Camp 1 which was downloaded at the Benguet 1st Engineering Office.
The Camp 6 section and Camp 1 bridge rehabilitation is also ongoing.
Kennon road is a 34-kilometer stretch and is the roadway to the Benguet province which connects Baguio city to the Rosario in La Union province.