BAGUIO City Mayor Mauricio Domogan did not sign the City Council resolution allowing carnival operator Belezar Ola to open its facility in Burnham Park again.
Domogan said the “people remember the problems” of the past and he cannot allow this to happen again.
Belezar Ola, president of Linked-In Corporation, is the operator of an amusement and gaming park which was ordered closed by the city government last year due to safety concerns.
READ: Baguio mayor orders closure of carnival
In his statement on Thursday, Domogan said City Council could override his decision if they insist, but underscored his opposition.
“He [Mr. Ola] said he has bought new rides for the carnival from abroad, but the people remember problems from its operation from last year,” the mayor said.
Domogan added the report from the City Environment and Parks Management Office from last year has thumbed down any operation of carnivals for Burnham Park and revealed the bidding of the skating rink rehabilitation is nearing which includes the space of the proposed carnival.
The mayor said the carnival operations last year brought many problems and he does not want a repeat of it this year.
The Ola request for operations was approved by the council before the New Year with lone lady Councilor Mylen Yaranon opposing the project.
READ: Ola carnival set to open amid opposition
The council approved the setup of the carnival for January 7 with operations to start February 1 until May 30, paying a lease of P500,000 for a five month stint at the city’s busiest park.
Voting yes to the operations of the carnival are councilors Francisco Ortega VII, Levy Lloyd Orcales, Elmer Datuin, Faustino Olowan, Edgar Avila, Arthur Allad iw, Micheal Lawana, Leandro Yangot and Benny Bomogao.
Councilor Elmer Datuin said the decision of the city mayor must be respected despite the previous approval of the council.