METROPOLITAN Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Oscar Inocentes warned the public Friday to be vigilant against bogus towing companies, saying only MMDA tow trucks are allowed to remove stalled vehicles.

“No single towing company now is given accreditation by the MMDA. Only our own tow trucks are authorized to haul stuck vehicles,” Inocentes said.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

The MMDA chief issued the clarification after some tabloids came up with reports of abusive practices being carried out by two tow trucks operating in Quezon City as well as at the Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (Edsa) and other major thoroughfares in the metropolis.

“These unscrupulous people are said to be dragging names of MMDA officials in their operations, and that is a complete lie. Time and again, I have made it clear that I will not tolerate such activities,” he added.

Several disgruntled motorists who had been victimized by the alleged abusive personnel of towing companies had called the attention of the agency to investigate the matter.

Inocentes urged the public to report to the MMDA any illegal acts committed on the road by agency personnel and private individuals alike.

“The public can call our hotline 136 for any complaints or clarifications concerning these towing companies. Just provide us the necessary information and we will deal with them accordingly,” he stressed.

Angelito Vergel De Dios, executive director of the Traffic Operations Center, said that the MMDA is now giving owners of stalled vehicles two hours to fix their cars.

“Within those two hours, they should be able to repair their vehicles. Otherwise, our tow trucks will haul them off the road and impound them so that they will not cause traffic,” added De Dios.

In the past, MMDA allows stalled vehicles only fifteen minutes to stay on the streets. (AH/Sunnex)