DEAR Dr. Fritz,

I have had severe acne in my teens and they left me with these ugly acne scars. What could be my treatment options? Please help.

Marybeth 888


Dear Marybeth 888,

There is a wide variety of treatments that can help you. But, it is true that you have to be examined by your dermatologist so that the right treatment will be chosen.

On treating acne scars, you might need more than one kind of treatment to smoothen your skin. This can be done in the convenience of your doctor’s office. Let me lay down the ways:

1. Skin resurfacing

Here damaged layers are removed, so that new, healthy skin beneath appears. This can be done in three ways:

A. Laser – This will create a more even skin surface

B. Dermabrasion – A rapid spinning wheel is employed to remove damaged skin

C. Chemical peel – A special type of acid, like TCA is used to remove the top layer of the skin.

After any of these procedures, new skin will begin to form in about 7 to 10 days after resurfacing. The area may look pink and fragile from several days to weeks and even months.

2. Fillers

A filler of collagen or fat is injected into the damaged area. This would puff up the skin under the scar, which will help smoothen out the skin. But this had to be repeated since your body would slowly absorb these fillers.

3. Dermarollers

This is a device covered with tiny needles which is rolled over your skin. This is a safe way to stimulate the tissue under to make them grow. But, this has to be done several times.

4. Surgery

This is only done for really bad scars to cut them away or to loosen those scars. The area is then repaired with skin grafts and stitches.

Good luck!

Dr. Fritz


(Dr. Fritz Legarde Espedilla is an aesthetic dermatologist and surgeon and a clinical sexologist. She is also trained in hypnotherapy and Medical Acupuncture. She has been in the broadcast media for more than a decade and has written a book based on her 15 year stint with her radio program, “Healthy is Sexy Secrets ni Dr. Fritz.” She is also a faculty in a College of Pharmacy. For your questions, you may e-mail them to If you don’t wish your letter to be published, we regret that we cannot answer them. Thank you for your understanding.)