ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer is confident that World Boxing Organization (WBO) super flyweight champion Donnie Nietes won’t be stripped of his title if he ever decides not to take on fellow Filipino Aston Palicte in a rematch.
“In the bylaws of the WBO, if it’s a unification, it could be considered a mandatory fight. You can check on Section 7 of the WBO bylaws. We are hoping something comes up,” Aldeguer told SunStar Cebu.
Palicte is one of Nietes’ options but isn’t a priority.
The two huge fights that Nietes is targeting are unification fights. He wants either the winner of the fight between World Boxing Council (WBC) super flyweight king Srisaket Sor Rungvisai and Juan Francisco Estrada or World Boxing Association (WBA) super flyweight titleholder Khalid Yafai.
“The Palicte fight is still on the table but we are working on other options. I can’t divulge it yet until we finalize everything,” said Aldeguer.
The 36-year-old Nietes and Palicte, the No. 1 contender, were recently ordered by the WBO to face each other.
The promoters of both boxers, ALA Promotions and Roy Jones Jr. Promotions, were given 15 days, from Feb. 4, by the WBO to negotiate and reach an agreement or the fight will be going to a purse bid.
Nietes and the 28-year-old Palicte fought for the then vacant WBO super flyweight belt on Sept. 8 last year. The fight ended in a controversial draw. (EKA)