ONCE its new building becomes operational next year, the Carcar City Provincial Hospital’s bed capacity will increase from 50 to 150.
Gov. Hilario Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale led the groundbreaking of the six-story building for the provincial hospital last Wednesday, Feb. 6. The project costs P111.5 million.
The new building is one of four expansion projects of the Provincial Health Office (PHO).
Dr. Rene Catan, PHO chief, said the hospital is currently serving some 250 patients a month. The number includes those served at the out-patient department.
Catan said the new building will increase the hospital’s bed capacity from 50 to 150.
“The move is also to lay down the groundwork for the Universal Healthcare Law, for which Cebu Province was picked as a pilot area for its implementation. The bill is now in Malacañang awaiting approval by President Rodrigo Duterte,” Catan said.
The construction of the new building in the provincial hospital’s compound is expected to be completed in 370 days.
Davide, for his part, thanked Magpale and the Provincial Board for supporting his administration’s health programs.
“Our goal is to give our patients free and quality service,” he said.
Earlier that day, the Provincial Government also inaugurated a P5.8-million multi-purpose evacuation center in the southern town of Sibonga.
The evacuation center can accommodate 100 persons.
The new building is the first of 10 evacuation center projects to be completed.
Construction work for the same project has also started in the towns of Carmen, Sta. Fe, Madridejos and Pilar.
The Capitol is also planning to build evacuation centers in the municipalities of Ronda, Badian, Alcoy, Pinamungajan and Tabogon. (RTF)