A TRIP of 50 people to Davao City from a province in Luzon has been cancelled following the shooting incident in Gaisano South Mall Thursday last week.

Travel operators also cringed at the thought that more cancellations might take place following the incident that left one person dead.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

In an interview at the Marco Polo Hotel Davao, Susan Palad, a frontrunner in the private sector-led tourism industry and vice president for Mindanao in the tourism council, said the cancellation was made after news of the shooting came out.

"It was a trip by a local government unit with about 50 people. It is a pretty big group," Palad said, adding that the trip was cancelled despite a certification on the safety of the city was presented by the travel agency that arranged the tour.

Airline companies have also suffered the same fate after the shooting incident between the armed police escorts of Buluan town Vice Mayor Esmael Mangudadatu and an alleged supporter of the Ampatuan clan.

The incident happened last February 11 when the police escorts of Mangudadatu – Police Officer 1 Surab Lintukan Bantas and Police Officer 1 Ibrahem Mangudadatu Langalen -- shot to death Tamano Kagi Kamendan inside a mall.

Kamendan is an alleged supporter of former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr., who is accused of masterminding the November 23, 2009 massacre in the province.

Kamendan was unarmed when the incident happened. (CPM)