THE Iloilo Provincial Health Office (PHO) is intensifying its campaign against measles by conducting a door-to-door vaccination next week.
PHO head Dr. Patricia Grace Trabado noted that there was a relatively low coverage of vaccination among kids last year as a result of the Dengvaxia controversy.
“We found out that there were also kids with missed vaccination. So we need to intensify our campaign in order to reach them,” she said.
Trabado added that measles cases in Iloilo Province increased this year compared to 2018.
From January 1 to February 14, 2019, there are four confirmed laboratory cases and 26 suspected cases pending laboratory results.
On the same period in 2018, there is only one confirmed case and seven suspected cases.
The PHO will meet with the municipal health officers so they could start with the campaign.
Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. also appealed to parents to subject their children, especially those six months to 59 months old, to vaccination in order to have them protected.
“I appeal to the parents to not wait for their children to have measles. Bring them to the nearest health centers. The vaccines are available and are free,” Defensor said.
Measles could lead to serious complications such as pneumonia, diarrhea and sepsis which could lead to death.
Trabado appealed to the mayors and barangay officials to support the health workers in the door-to-door campaign.
The Department of Health has declared a measles outbreak in Western Visayas last week. (PR)