JOINT forces of the Commission on Elections (Comelec), Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo), and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) removed campaign paraphernalia posted outside the assigned common poster areas in the city Wednesday.

City Police Director Benedicto Lopez, Cocpo chief, said “operation baklas” has been implemented since the other week.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

Several campaign materials had already tore down and been removed from Barangays Lumbia and Carmen, majority of which belonged to national candidates and various party-lists, said Lopez.

Lopez said “operation baklas” is a continuing activity of the Comelec with the assistance of Cocpo and AFP that has brought down a number of violations on illegal posting.

The team has removed posters, streamers and tarpaulins placed in electric posts, trees, bridges and in front of schools and churches.

“This will also bring message to local candidates not to place their campaign materials outside common poster areas dahil tatanggalin talaga namin,” Lopez told Sun.Star Cagayan.

Under Comelec Resolution No. 8758 or the Rules and Regulations Implementing Republic Act No. 9006 or the “Fair Election Practices Act,” candidates are only allowed to post campaign posters, billboards and tarpaulins in common areas identified by the Comelec.

The common poster areas will be located in places being frequented by the public such as plazas, markets, barangay centers and the like where posters may be readily seen or read.

The campaign materials were now in the custody of the City Comelec office for proper disposition and future action.