BAGUIO City Mayor Mauricio Domogan challenged the City Council to help implement a ban on political campaigning during the Panagbenga grand parades on March 2 and 3.
Domogan, in reaction to a recent move by aldermen to allow candidates to participate in the parade with contingents and incumbent officials during the grand street and float parades, said councilors are among those who should implement the guidelines.
The mayor said he is against the move to allow candidates to participate in the parade. But with the city council move, he said it would be very hard and awkward to thwart any politicking.
Last week, the City Council passed a resolution prohibiting campaigning during the festival but at the same time allowing candidates to walk the parade route during the grand street dancing and float events.
The original resolution, “Strict Non-politicization of candidates on any of the Panagbenga Activities,” of Councilor Arthur Allad-iw was amended to allow candidates to march the parade route provided they follow the rules of conduct.
Last year, Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos and former senator Ferdinand Marcos paraded with officials of the city and the Baguio Flower Festival Foundation Incorporated and engaged the crowd along the parade route.
They were both given a chance to speak to the crowd at the Athletic Bowl, with Imee introducing Bongbong as the vice president of the Philippines.
This year, Councilor and Baguio Flower Festival Executive Committee Chairman Elmer Datuin announced that invitations have been sent to Senator Bong Revilla and Maguindanao Rep. Zajid Mangudadatu, a senatorial aspirant, for the March parades.
Datuin likewise hinted that Imee Marcos might also attend the festivities.