1 dead, 2 injured in Labangon fire

A MAN with a mental condition died in a fire that hit his house in Sitio Lacros, Barangay Labangon in Cebu City past 2 a.m. Thursday, March 14.

The fatality was identified as Mario Abella, who was trapped in his room.

A 34-year-old man and a seven-month-old baby survived the fire, but they suffered first-degree burns.

The fire destroyed 23 houses and displaced 47 families or 217 individuals, according to the list provided by the City Social Welfare and Services as of 8 a.m.

The Cebu City Fire Department estimated the damage at P400,000.

Investigation showed the fire started in Abella’s house.

James Paul Adorable said Abella, his uncle, often drank coffee every morning.

Before the fire broke out, Adorable heard an explosion. He theorized that Abella may have used a butane canister filled with liquid petroleum gas in boiling water.

Adorable further said his uncle always cooked his food inside the room and it was possible that the latter fell asleep while he was cooking.

He instructed Abella to jump out of the window, but the latter refused.

“Ingun siya nga ‘Ari ra ko diri, Dong, kay mao ni ang gisugo ni Senyor Sto. Niño nako.’ Mao man iyang estorya (He told me, ‘I will stay here, Dong, because that is what Senyor Sto. Niño wants me to do.’ That’s what he said to me),” he said.

Adorable then proceeded to rescue the seven-month-old boy. (From AYB of SuperBalita Cebu, KAL)


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!