SECTIONS
Sunday, June 16, 2019
DAVAO

NPA rebels not welcome in Eastern Mindanao

File photo

THE Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) noted a total of 12 resolutions passed in the first quarter of 2019 declaring the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army (CPP-NPA) as "persona non grata".

These resolutions were passed by barangays, municipalities, provinces, and tribal councils in Eastmincom's area of responsibility.

Lieutenant General Felimon Santos Jr., Eastmincom commander, said Sunday, March 24, that in December last year, there were already three resolutions passed declaring the group unwelcome to operate in their area.

"The New People’s Army is on the run after more and more communities and local government units (LGUs) are declaring them 'persona non grata' in their respective communities,” Santos said.

Just recently, the Province of Davao Oriental barred the communist group from entering the province and declared the group as undesirable after the Provincial Peace and Order Council passed a resolution on February 19.

On February 15, the formerly NPA-infested villages of Surigao del Norte particularly Camam-onan and Gigaquit also declared the Red fighters as "persona non grata", citing that they are already tired of their intimidation.

The Provincial Government of Compostela Valley have also passed a resolution condemning and declaring the CPP-NPA-NDF persona non grata in the whole province last January 25.

The Ovu-Manuvo Tribe in Kinarum, Magpet and Datu Ladayon, Arakan in North Cotabato prohibited the rebels from entering their communities last December 19, 2018, while 21 barangays in Malaybalay, Bukidnon and the whole municipality of Sibagat, Agusan del Sur declared the same on October 23, 2018, and December 21, 2018, respectively.

Meanwhile, from January 1 to March 21 this year, the troops in Eastern Mindanao have recorded a total of 59 armed encounters wherein 16 NPA members were killed while 22 others were captured.

Data further showed that a total of 130 NPA regulars and 79 Militia ng Bayan surrendered along with 88 mass supporters and members of the underground mass organizations.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!