THE police in Negros Oriental will be on full alert starting Monday, March 25, as part of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7’s security preparations for the founding anniversary of the New People’s Army (NPA), the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), on Friday, March 29.
The province is a hotbed of NPA activity, according to PRO 7 Director Debold Sinas.
Sinas said he will deploy additional personnel in the province, adding that police officers there will not lower their guards since NPA guerillas have a history of launching attacks against government forces as a way to celebrate their founding.
The Regional Intelligence Division had received reports that the rebels were planning attacks.
Sinas said police stations in Negros Oriental had already been prepped.
“Kabalo man ka basta anniversary nila maghimohimo man sila’g mga gimik ba aron ipaulaw ang mga estasyon (We all know that during their anniversary, they come up with gimmicks to humiliate or embarrass our police),” he said.
The police official also ordered the Regional Mobile Force Battalion 7 and the Negros police to conduct patrols in mountain barangays after receiving reports that the NPA rebels have been harassing residents.
President Rodrigo Duterte had declared that the government would not enter into any peace negotiation with the CPP.
Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines has also raised its alert status in Negros Oriental due to the NPA’s founding anniversary. (From AYB of SuperBalita Cebu, KAL)