CITY Administrator Teodoro Sabuga-a Jr. called an image circulating online and showing Cagayan de Oro Mayor Oscar Moreno as the top 10 richest person in the country as fake news.
Sabuga-a said the image, which claims that Moreno has a total of $2.6 billion net worth in 2018 according to Forbes, is ridiculous.
"Ang pagpangilad nila, gitangtang nila si Andrew Ty sa top 10 ug gi-doktor nga gibutang ang ngalan ni Oca Moreno (They removed Andre Ty's name and replaced it with mayor's name). Klaro man kay dili pareha ang font style sa name ni mayor (It's clear because mayor's name has a different font style)," he said.
The image was shared in a Facebook page known to be anti-administration.
"Grabe nga fake news. Ila ko man si Mayor Moreno, kung wala siya nisulod sa pulitika, at the age of 60, magretire ni siya as senior officer sa Ayala ug kung nag-retire ni sya didto, multimillionaire unta ni (It's fake news. I know mayor Moreno, if he didn't enter politics, at the age of 60, he could have retired as a senior officer in Ayala and be a multimillionaire)," Sabuga-a said.
Meanwhile, allies of Moreno and officials of City Hall are taking to task a mayoral candidate for making false claims in his campaign.
During Saturday's (April 6) debate among mayoral candidates sponsored by dxIF Bombo Radyo Cagayan de Oro, Moreno pointed out that the opposition candidate kept repeatedly harping about the cases lodged against him at the Ombudsman and the Sandiganbayan when most of them had been ruled in his favor.
Allies of Moreno have responded to claims of mayoral candidate Jose Gabriel La Viña by asking him: "If you insist ‘kawatan’ si Moreno, unsa man iyang gikawat?"
City Engineer Ronald Pacuribut belied La Viña’s claim that the classrooms are overpriced by P1 million each.
"Aside from the Commission on Audit's (COA) findings, our classrooms are cheaper. They can be no truth to La Viña’s claim that the classrooms are overpriced by P1 million each. The Moreno administration has built over 600 classrooms from 2013 to the present," he said.
“Ako siya ubanan sa sitio Man-ai, Tignapoloan para makita niya didto unom ka classrooms worth P6 million. Na kung gikawat ang P1 million per classroom, wala unta classrooms nga nagtindog didto karun,” said Pacuribot.
Roads and Traffic Administration head Nonito Oclarit also belied La Viña’s accusation that his traffic deputies are abusive and incompetent because they are not from Cagayan de Oro City.
“Kami pa man ganing gipang-abusohan. Uban traffic aide ginahulga, gikulata, napatyan pa gyud mi dha sa Cogon,” Oclarit said.
Sabuga-a said that saying that Moreno has over a 100 cases does not mean "naay gikawat."
“Tell the people of Cagayan de Oro, unsay nawala, kay gikawat man kaha. Dili magsingita diha like a mad man,” Sabuga-a said.
“All the cases are trumped up, baseless and politically motivated. For example, the equipment rental cases when Moreno was governor, what did the COA say?” he added.
In his rebuttal on April 6, Moreno chided La Viña for resorting to “fake news” and “black propaganda” tactics in a desperate bid to win the city’s mayoral seat.
Moreno cited La Viña’s own questionable track record, saying La Viña had been sacked by the Palace from three government posts at the Departments of Agriculture and Tourism and the Social Security System (SSS).
Rather than directly address concerns like child welfare (see clip), Moreno said La Viña repeatedly kept raising the cases filed against him which were filed by the opposition Padayon Pilipino camp, which La Viña is aligned with.
The mayor recently called on city residents to hold the opposition Padayon Pilipino bloc accountable for repeatedly blocking his program, such as the dumpsite closure and reopening of new landfill, the expanded PhilHealth coverage for indigents, and modernizing of the JR Borja City Hospital. (PJ Orias)