AUTHORITIES will implement the “no backpack policy” inside the Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño for the opening mass of the National Youth Day (NYD) Wednesday, April 24 at 7 p.m.
“Ang makasulod ra gyud ang kato ra g’yung nag NYD backpack (Those who own NYD backpacks can enter the premises),” Fr. Mark Barneso, NYD 2019 Steering Team Leader said in a press conference held early Wednesday.
PRO-Central Visayas Regional Director Debold Sinas said that a heightened security will be reinforced for the NYD just as the security reinforcement during the Sinulog festivities.
“So far for the first day, it was generally peaceful and there was no untoward incident,” he said.
Father Andrei Vintanilla, the associate chairman of the Commission on Youth of the Archdiocese, assured that even though the Basilica’s capacity can only accomodate 9,000 pilgrims, they designated areas for other delegates to stay for the opening mass.
“Naa ju'y mga pilgrims nga they will be placed outside. But what is important there is that they will experience the feels of Sinulog. However, on our end, gi-prioritize jud namo ang mga from outside Visayas,” Vintanilla said.
“After the opening mass, the delegates will travel back to their respective host parishes onboard the respective NYD buses. Each bus will have two police personnel as onboard security guard,” he added.
Motorists were also advised to adopt to the re-routing scheme as a temporary road closure will be implemented for the NYD Opening Ceremony on Osmeña Boulevard going to P.del Rosario and the streets along the Abellana National High School.
Father Joselito Batitoy Gutierrez, NYD Festival Sites Over-all chairman, said there were no major glitches during the reception and welcoming of delegates Tuesday.
“There were some delays but we were able to catch up, especially on transporting delegates from airport and seaport,” he said.
As of 8 a.m. Wednesday, around 6,600 delegates arrived in Cebu and more delegates are expected to arrive within the day.