Husband of slain trader not missing, speaks to Mabolo police

THE husband of the businesswoman slain in an office in Barangay Banilad, Cebu City last Thursday has denied a report that he has gone missing.

Jesse Quirante, owner of Summit Granite Center, said he had been in Manila since last month and returned to Cebu on Friday night, April 26.

His wife, Premegilda Quirante, 46, was shot dead inside the Summit Granite Center office on Maria Luisa Road in Barangay Banilad, Cebu City at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 25.

According to the initial investigation, two men wearing full-face helmets barged inside the office and shot Premegilda several times, but spared her sister, who was seated at a table near her.


Quirante reached out to SunStar Cebu after a report published by another news outlet on Saturday said that he was missing and that Cebu City Police Office investigators would summon him for questioning as soon as he was located.

“I was reachable by all my staff—and even my wife—by mobile phone (while I was in Manila). We were communicating every day. How else could I run a business without communicating with them?” he told SunStar on Saturday, April 27.

According to the news report, his wife had gone to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 office last Thursday to report him missing, and she had found questionable bank withdrawals after he went missing.

Quirante said he had made the bank withdrawals from their joint account, which was not unusual since it was his practice to do so whenever he was out of town to fund his expenses.

Quirante said he was in Manila due to health problems.

He believes the motive for his wife’s killing was business-related.

Quirante said he had already spoken to the Mabolo police after the policemen went to the wake of his wife in Mandaue City.

On reports that Premegilda had been acting strange in the weeks before her death, Quirante said he also wondered why she was very insistent that he come home to Cebu immediately.

Just visiting

On that fateful day, Quirante said that after going to the NBI on Thursday morning, his wife went home, after which she proceeded to his office on Maria Luisa Road in Banilad.

She was only visiting his office when she was shot, as her own office was located in Mandaue City. She worked for another business owned by the couple.

Following the shooting, the culprits were said to have fled on a motorcycle.

Premegilda was rushed to the Gullas Medical Center in Banilad, but she was declared dead on arrival. She succumbed to four gunshot wounds. (CTL)


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!