MANILA -- The Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) launched an online campaign on the Maguindanao massacre case, which will track the current courtroom developments.
The online campaign titled “Justice for victims of Maguindanao Massacre” was launched after the Department of Justice (DOJ) ordered the filing of murder cases of other 196 accused.
“Seeking legal remedies in the Philippine's system of justice had been perpetually undermined by way of political interference, excessive court delays and failure by the prosecutors and investigators to ensure that the cases they are pursuing are effectively prosecuted,” the AHRC said.
“(The online campaign) seeks to document, to conduct follow-up and to provide insights as to how the prosecution of cases involving violations of rights takes place within the Philippines' criminal justice system,” it added.
The case stemmed from the alleged involvement of the powerful clan to the November 23 massacre, where 57 people were killed, including 32 journalists, in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao. The killings are considered the worst political violence in Philippine history.
The Hong Kong-based human rights group also said apart from the launching of the online campaign, local journalists in General Santos City hosted a concert Monday night at the Oval Plaza covered court.
A group of local publishers, the Publishers Association of General Santos City and South Cotabato (PAGES) in General Santos City, has hosted a tribute concert last night for the victims of the Maguindanao massacre, particularly the 32 journalists who had been killed in performing their duty.
Dubbed "Songs for Freedom and Justice" the concert aims to drum up public awareness in commemorating the third month anniversary of massacre.
Guest performers include Eric Gancio of band Yano and various local bands from SOCCSKSARGEN (South Cotabato-Cotabato-Sultan Kudarat-Sarangani-General Santos) region. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)