A MAN and two of his children, including their house helper, were killed in a fire in Cotabato City.

Police identified the victims as Johnson Wee and his two children and their helper. Also injured in the fire was Johnson's wife Remedious.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

Based on reports gathered from the Cotabato City Police Office, the fire started at Weewe Commercial owned by the Wees around 4:10 a.m. Wednesday.

Members of the Bureau of Fire Protection led by City Fire marshall Chief Inspector Adam Guiamad and Chinese Fire Volunteer Brigade immediately responded and put out the blaze.

Guiamad said the three-storey building was locked from the inside and the fire exits were filled with smoke, making it difficult for them to escape.

Investigation showed the fire started on the first floor of the building from faulty electrical wiring. Guiamad said the victims were suffocated.

The victims were brought to the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center, where they died while undergoing treatment.

Cotabato City mayor Muslimin Sema advised residents to be mindful of lighted candles and open stoves in the kitchen that were left unattended, including faulty electrical wirings, to avoid fire. (Edgardo Fuerzas)