INVESTIGATORS are set to file murder charges against two or more suspects responsible for the brutal killing of criminology student, Marjun Mejos, whose dead body was found burned in Indahag, Cagayan de Oro City, Friday, May 17.
But, police declined to identify the suspects and their background so as not to jeopardize the case filing.
Police captain Rustico Gala-Gala Jr., Police Station 2 commander, said they are likely to file the charges before the City Prosecutors Office this week.
“As of now dili pa nato ma divulge ang mga personalities ug background kay basin mawala ang atong mga subject,” Gala-Gala said.
(We cannot divulge the personalities behind the murder, including their backgrounds, because the subjects might escape.)
“Naa na tay picture sa mga suspects ug almost complete na ang mga ebidensya sa krimen (we have photos of the suspects, and the evidences in the crime are almost complete),” he added.
He said the case build-up is almost completed and the evidences are intact and strong to indict the perpetrators.
Gala-Gala said probers were able to obtain the exchange of communication among the suspects on how they would carry out the crime.
“Naa na tay nakuha nga exchange of communication sa mga suspects. Ang investigation sa Scene of the Crime Operatives ug ang description on how to do the crime perfect nga nag-match,” Gala-Gala said.
(We have obtained copies of their communication exchanges. The investigation from Scene of the Crime Operatives, and the description on how the crime was perfected matched.)
Authorities are also developing the accounts of other witnesses.
Crime of Passion
Gala-Gala likened the incident as “crime of passion.”
“When we say crime of passion duna gyud lawom nga kasuko sa iya (there's a deep anger against him),” Gala-Gala said.
Gala-Gala also said a certain Rico Anthony Sison who was earlier considered by the police as a “person of interest” had already appeared to the police station to clear his name.
Mejos was facing frustrated homicide charges for allegedly stabbing Sison last November 8, 2018. He was released from jail after posting P72,000 bail.
“Katong iyang nadunggaban personal nga niadto sa station ug naghatag sa iyang full statement. Basi sa investigation medyo wala kaayo siya nigawas,” Gala-Gala said.
(The one Mejos stabbed, personally went to the station and gave his full statement. Based on the investigation, the person of interest did not turn out to have high probability that he is the suspect).