AFTER almost a year, the displaced families from Sitio Camansi in Banglay, Lagonglong, Misamis Oriental, who are living in makeshift shelters at the provincial capitol park still insist to stay, capitol officials said Tuesday, May 21.
Fernando Dy Jr, head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), said evacuees who fled their homes due to “intense militarization” in the area on the first week of June last year, will stay until government soldiers leave their community.
“Dili pa gyud sila mamauli hangtod naa pay military sa ilang lugar pero wala naman gud kagubot didto,” Dy said.
(They will not go home as long as there is still military presence in their place, but there have been no longer disturbance there since)
He said the legal team of the provincial government has continued working on how to convince the “bakwits” (evacuees) to return to their homes.
“Padayon ang aksyon nga gihimo karon sa atong legal office. Dili man sa gusto na nato sila papahawaon pero gusto nato nga ipabalik na sila kay wala naman kagubot and atong reason is ang security pud sa atong mga IDPs diha,” he added.
(The legal office continues to act on the matter. We don’t want to forcefully remove them but we also want for them to return because there is no longer conflict in their locality, and it’s also for their safety)
From 48 families who have run for shelter a year ago, only 30 families or 133 individuals remained while others opted to return to their homes.
Jhunleymar Abella, head of the Provincial Social Welfare Office (PSWD), said the capitol has been extending assistance while they are still at the capitol premises.
“Next month, mag one year na sila pero wala pa sila nag-ingon nga mobalik na sila busa padayon ang atong paghatag kanila sa mga basic nila nga needs sa pagkaon ug uban pa,” Abella said.
(Next month, they will turn one year, but they did not say when they are going back to their place, that is why we continue to give them basic needs like food among others)
Abella also said the provincial government also attended to those who fell ill or have medical issues.
He said Governor Yevgeny Emano directed them to continue giving the displaced families all their needs. (Alwen Saliring)