CEBU Gov. Hilario Davide III will leave it to the administration of governor-elect Gwen Garcia to decide whether or not the four-story parking building inside the Capitol compound should be built.
Davide decided to forgo the supposed negotiated procurement for the multi-level parking structure, as well as the plan to sell 14 parcels of Province-owned lots through a public auction.
“I said let’s forgo nalang ana (parking structure). Let the next administration determine if it’s needed or not, if they would pursue it or not or cancel it altogether,” the governor said in an interview on Tuesday, May 21.
The proposed multi-level parking structure was supposed to have a gross floor area of 3,342 square meters and be able to accommodate 96 cars.
The Provincial Government was working on another negotiated procurement after two firms offered a bid price that was much higher than the project’s approved budget contract (ABC) of P91 million.
From an original ABC of P84 million, the ABC was raised to P91 million by the Office of the Provincial Engineer given the rising cost of steel bars and other construction materials.
In an interview, Provincial General Services Office chief and Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) vice chairman Jone Siegfred Sepe said the Office of the Provincial Engineer had earlier signified that it will adopt the recommendations from suppliers in the updated ABC.
“Since we are already in the transition phase, the BAC will recommend to the Office of the Governor not to pursue the project at this time,” he added.
The turnover of the executive department will be on June 28.
Sepe said they came up with the recommendation to ensure a smoother transition of duties and responsibilities since their term as BAC members will expire on June 30, in time for the assumption of office of the new set of elected officials.
Sought for comment, Garcia replied: “Good. I’m glad he (Davide) heeded my letter, even though he felt ‘insulted.’”
Garcia was referring to the letter her camp sent Davide last Monday, May 20, informing the latter about her transition team and reminding the outgoing governor against making midnight appointments or deals.
“Besides, we won’t be needing a four-story parking building. We already have a huge expanse of leveled ground, courtesy of WT Construction, for the Provincial Resource Center, which is not going to happen,” Garcia added.
Aside from the parking area, Sepe said they’ve also decided to forgo the bidding of 14 parcels of Province-owned lots.
“It is still a prudent decision to recommend that we forgo the bidding,” he added.
Sepe said they had decided on the matter even before Garcia’s camp urged bidders not to purchase the lots, and before the governor-elect sent the letter to Davide.
“We also think of what’s best for the government. It was a nonfactor. In fact, we decided on the matter even before they came out,” Sepe said.
Also on Tuesday, May 21, lawyer Marino Martinquilla reiterated Garcia’s earlier statement that she does not plan to implement the P1.3-billion Provincial Resource Center.
As to the complaint they filed before the Regional Trial Court in Toledo City to stop the implementation of the project, he said they have not received the reply of Davide and outgoing Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale, who are respondents in the case.
He said they will reveal their next move when Garcia assumes office and when the Capitol officials reply. (RTF, with WBS)