PREGNANCY hormones give us full and healthy-looking hair. But during postpartum, hair seems to look dull and dry. Moms do experience hair loss.
Don’t panic if you see some hair strands on the shower drain or if your comb has hairs on it after brushing. These are just signs of postpartum hair fall or hair loss.
Hair fall is normal because humans lose around 80 strands per day.
However, after pregnancy, our body goes back to its normal routine so we experience hair loss due to hormonal imbalance. The culprit for hair loss is the male hormones called androgens. Don’t worry. It will not make you bald, moms.
Another cause of hairfall is stress. Stress can bring scalp problems.
Other health conditions like iron deficiency and thyroid problem can cause hair loss.
Age can also be a factor. As we age, we lose more hair.
Our crowning glory will just go back to normal a year after giving birth.
So, while waiting for that, here are some tips for relief.
1. Eat healthy and take necessary vitamins
2. Shampoo when necessary (look for shampoo against hair fall as it has volumizing factor)
3. Avoid conditioners
4. Try hair thickener or mousse
5. Use wide-toothed comb
6. Don’t use rubber bands
7. Refrain from using blowdryer, curling iron, or flat iron
8. As much as possible, put off any chemical-based treatment like
highlights, perms, straightening, or rebond
9. Avoid using products with chemicals like retinoids and parabens
10. Always consult your OB (she can refer you to an expert)
Remember, life becomes more rewarding if we pamper ourselves while taking care of our newborn. Never take your health, including your hair, for granted.
[The writer appreciates comments, questions, and story suggestions. Contact her through firstname.lastname@example.org, @mommyaracasastumuran on Instagram, and subscribe to her Youtube channel www.youtube.com/c/AraCasasTumuran.]