SECTIONS
Thursday, June 27, 2019
CAGAYAN DE ORO

Arrest warrant out for Verde Soko officials

A LOCAL court here issued an arrest warrant against Filipino officials of Verde Soko, the firm behind the importation of South Korean trash in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental last year.

The warrant of arrest for violation of section 13 (d) of Toxic and Hazardous Waste Act (RA 6969) was issued against Neil Alburo, president of Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corporation, Deolita Sabellosa and Marcelo Ouano Jr.

It was issued by Branch 39, Regional Trial Court under presiding judge Marites Filomena Rana-Bernales last May 9.

The court allowed them to post bail in the amount of P120,000 for their temporary liberty.

Another arrest warrant was issued against them for violation of section 13 (c) in relation to section 8 of RA 6969 with bail bond fixed at P36,000.

Regional State Prosecutor Merlyn Uy said there are two accused who had posted bail ahead of the issuance of the arrest warrant.

“Naa’y 2 accused wala na isyuhan og warrant kay nakapyansa daan,” Uy said.

The complainant was John Simon, customs collector of the Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) in Tagoloan town.

Misamis Oriental board member Gerardo Sabal III said the officials of Verde Soko must comply with the court order.

He said he was informed that the arrest warrant was issued but he has no details yet as to whether the subjects of the warrant have already posted bail.

“Gi-filan sila og kaso kay naay probable cause ug maghulat lang ta unsay order sa korte nga ilang i-require sa hingtungdan sa pagbuhat sa angayan og matarong,”Sabal said.

It can be recalled that around 6,500 tons of waste materials were shipped from South Korea to Tagoloan town in two occasions-the first shipment arrived last July and was transferred to Verde Soko’s facility while the second shipment followed last October.

Customs bureau said the two shipment declared as “Plastic Synthetic Flakes” were found to be garbage and hazardous wastes upon actual inspection.

Through the re-exportation order of the Bureau of Customs, the second shipment containing the 1,400 tons of trash were sent back to Korea last January 13. The remaining bulk of imported garbage has yet to be returned.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph