DEPARTMENT of Social Welfare and Development Secretary Rolando Bautista finally broke his silence on Friday, June 7, and said he accepts the apology issued by broadcaster Erwin Tulfo in his radio program.
But he demanded that Tulfo publish his apology in major newspapers, post this in social media platforms, air such apology in major radio networks, and donate not less than P300,000 to 19 institutions and organizations.
The donations would be in lieu of the damages that a court would grant if he were to sue Tulfo for defamation, Bautista said in a statement issued Friday.
“Magbibigay siya ng donasyon sa halagang hindi bababa sa tatlong daang libong piso (P300,000) sa lahat ng mga sumusunod sa halip ng pambayad ng danyos o bayad-pinsala sa pagkawasak ng aking pagkatao, reputasyon at pati na rin ng mga institusyon na aking kinatawanan o naging kaanib,” he said.
Bautista, a former Philippine Army commanding general, said Tulfo should prove his sincerity by having his apology published in a newspaper ad, the size of which should not be less than one-half page.
Tulfo should also post an apology on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube, and air the same apology over DZBB, DZMM, Radio Singko News FM 92.3, DZRH at DZRB.
Bautista further demanded that Tulfo deposit his donations to the Land Bank of the Philippines accounts of the following:
. Philippine Military Academy
· Philippine Military Academy Alumni Association Incorporated
· Association of Generals and Flag Officers
· First Scout Ranger Regiment, Philippine Army
· Special Forces Regiment (Airborne), Philippine Army
· Light Reaction Regiment, Philippine Army
· Philippine National Police Special Action Force
· Philippine Naval Special Operations Group, Philippine Navy
· Philippine Marines Special Operations Group, Philippine Navy
· Philippine National Police Maritime Group
· Trust Fund for the City of Marawi’s Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) to be administered by DSWD BARM
· Philippine Veterans Hospital
· AFP Victoriano Luna Medical Center
· Philippine National Police Camp Crame General Hospital
· Philippine Army General Hospital
· Philippine Navy General Hospital
· Philippine Air Force General Hospital
· Philippine Coastguard General Hospital
· Educational Trust Fund for the deserving children of DSWD employees
In the same statement, Bautista thanked the people and organizations that supported him after he was lambasted by Tulfo in the radio program "Tutok Erwin Tulfo" on May 28.
“Taos-puso po akong nagpapasalamat sa bawa’t isa po sa inyo na nagpaabot at nagpakita ng simpatya, pagkabahala at suporta para sa akin nitong nakaraang buwan ng aking matinding pagsubok dahil sa paninirang-puri at insulto na naidulot ng programang Tutok Erwin Tulfo,” Bautista said.
“Ang inyong tiwala, paniniwala at pagbibigay-galang sa akin at higit sa lahat sa Akademiyang Militar ng Pilipinas (PMA), Hukbong Katihan ng Pilipinas (Philippine Army) at Kagawarang ng Kagalingan at Pagpapaunlad Panlipunan (DSWD) na aking pinagdaanan at pinaglingkuran ay siyang nag obliga sa aking magpasya ng ganito kasama ng mungkahi ng mga nakakatanda at aking mga kaibigan upang mabigyan ng karapat-dapat na pagbibigay galang at karangalan ang bawa’t isa po sa inyo na tumulong sa iyong abang lingcod,” he added.
Tulfo's outburst against Bautista prompted the recall of the police escorts assigned to him and his brothers Ben and Raffy as well as Raffy's wife Jocelyn.
The Philippine National Police also ordered Tulfo to surrender his firearms following the expiration of his License to Own and Possess Firearms (LTOFP).
The military also earlier recalled the two men assigned as security detail to another Tulfo brother, Ramon. (SunStar Philippines)