“DADDIES mean fun, mommies mean business,” says the mother in Disney’s “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” films.
The central plot device? – a creative, risk-taking, carefree father exposes his children to danger while a hard-working, grounded, sensible mother has to save them – is typical of the way dads are portrayed in films and advertising, but not in our homes. Or yes? Maybe, a bit.
To those who grew up in the late 1980s, early 1990s and beyond, here are the famous and creative lines our cool Filipino dads never failed to utter in our growing up years.
1. “Anong oras ka uuwi?” (Here’s your 24 seconds shot clock)
2. “San na kayo?” (It’s a shot clock violation. It actually means ‘bakit wala ka pa?’)
3. “Uwi ka na.” (The bubble buster or the party pooper message)
4. “Uwi ka na.” (Pag double sent, kabahan ka na)
5. “Pag-iisipan ko.” (Prolonged agony. So, all the saints in heaven pray for us!)
6. “Tanong mo sa mama mo.” (Kanino po ba talaga?)
7. “Nung ako nag-aaral, dalawang piso lang baon ko!” (#Respect!)
8. “Malayo sa bituka yan.” (Man up, boy)
9. “Wag mo patayin, nanonood ako.” (Sabay hilik)
10. “Kung ang lolo mo pa yan...”
“... Sinabit na ako patiwarik, sinilid na ako sa sako, pinaluhod na ako sa munggo at pinalayas na ako sa bahay.” (Just pray he won’t be too mad to do what your lolo did.)
But seriously, just as most moms nowadays take on the same roles as their husbands, that is by taking on careers and smashing it in the corporate and business world, our dads have their fair share of doing big things which are usually done by a mother.
And we will be forever grateful!
Maraming salamat po! We love you, mga erpats!
Need more tips in life, career and beyond? Invite me to speak in your event or reach me at “Coach Pat de Leon” on Facebook.