SECTIONS
Thursday, June 27, 2019
CAGAYAN DE ORO

Group seeks Ocon's removal as councilor

MISAMIS ORIENTAL. A concerned citizen on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 is about to sign his signature in a tarpaulin situated in Press Freedom Monument in Capitol grounds of Misamis Oriental, calling for the removal of Council Zaldy Ocon from his elective post, after having a verbal scuffle with former mayor Reuben Canoy at a hotel last week. Ocon asks for apology to Canoy through Monday's City Council session. (PJ ORIAS)

A GROUP of concerned citizens on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 have initiated a signature campaign against Cagayan de Oro City Councilor Zaldy Ocon in a bid to remove him from his elective office and be “banned” from the city.

Dubbed as “Remove Ocon Movement,” the group wants to get 50,000 signatures to “send a message that the city has had enough of Ocon's bad behavior.”

The number of signatures is said to be a minimum requirement for a recall petition under Republic Act No. 7160 or the Local Government Code of the Philippines.

A recall can be initiated by a petition of at least 25 percent of the registered voters in the local government unit (LGU) concerned.

An official could only be subjected to a recall only once during one's term of office, and from one year after the official took office, up to one year before the next regularly scheduled election.

Tess Padla, the group's spokesperson said 12 persons started the campaign and eventually decided to create the movement. She said the group is composed of ordinary residents in the city.

“Let the whole populace of Cagayan de Oro gang up on him para dili na bitaw mapadayon iyang abuso nga ngil-ad,” she said.

The signature campaign is held in the Press Freedom Monument and will run until June 30.

After the signature campaign, the group intends to make a case and file it to the Office of the Ombudsman or bring the matter to President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Our goal is to have him removed from Cagayan de Oro or bring the attention of the President nga mao na nga klase ang ginatawag nato nga city dad, nga moabuso sa dili lang senior citizen, but also a PWD (person with disability) and an icon also,” Padla said referring to former mayor Reuben Canoy.

“If he can do this towards somebody who is respected how much more kadtong mga ordinaryong pobre. So this is his time to go,” she added.

Padla urged Kagay-anons to visit the Press Freedom Monument to sign the petition.

“Kung wa mo niangay sa atong usa ka legislator nga abusado man diay sa law, moanhi lang mo diri sa Freedom Park. He is a lawmaker yet he is a law breaker,” she added.

It can be remembered that on May 7, Ocon had a heated argument with Canoy. Ocon already apologized but the former mayor's daughter said his apology came off rather self-serving.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph