SECTIONS
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
CEBU

Canoy waits for final say on Arcilla disqualification

THE camp of Allen Canoy, the petitioner to cancel the certificate of candidacy (COC) of Cebu City councilor-elect Alvin Arcilla, filed a motion for a writ of execution before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc on Friday, June 21, 2019, the same day the Comelec issued the certificate of finality of its en banc’s May 28, 2019 resolution to cancel Arcilla’s COC.

The Comelec decision is final, but a writ is required to carry it out.

Canoy of Barangay Apas, Cebu City said they were just waiting for the en banc’s answer to their motion.

Arcilla’s camp appealed the en banc resolution before the Supreme Court and tried to secure a temporary restraining order last week, but as of June 20, there was no word if Arcilla had succeeded.

Canoy hopes the en banc will soon come up with a decision on a similar petition he filed against councilor-elect Sisinio Andales.

“Why should we let them stay in the council when it is clear they already served their three-term limit? If they insist on staying, they must have some vested interests,” he said in Cebuano.

Canoy questioned the candidacies of Arcilla and Andales as they were already on their third and final term. Comelec did not agree with Arcilla’s argument that his term was interrupted when he served his suspension imposed by the Office of the President in 2016. (From PAC of SuperBalita Cebu, PJB)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph