ZAMBOANGA CITY -- One of the two Chinese nationals who were recently rescued from kidnappers in Basilan died Monday while undergoing medical treatment at a private hospital in this city.

Zi Shun Lu, alias Oscar Lu, 51, died around 3 p.m. Monday while undergoing treatment at Ciudad Medical de Zamboanga, said Basilan Police Director Antonio Mendoza.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

The cause of Lu’s death was kidney failure, Mendoza added.

Chief Superintendent Rolando Puruganan, deputy chief of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations, said the attending physicians informed him Monday afternoon that Lu's vital organs were already very weak.

Lu and Bo Shung Tan alias Michael Tan, 27, were rescued around 8:20 p.m. last Friday in the village of Benembengan, Sumisip town.

Lu and Tan, both from Guanzhou Province, mainland China, were kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf bandits together with Marquez Singson, 36, a resident of Maligue village, Isabela City, the capital of Basilan province.

The bandits beheaded Singson, whose head was recovered in the evening of December 9 at a public plaza in downtown Isabela City, after his employer failed to pay the initial ransom demand of P1.5 million.

Lu, Tan and Singson are employees of Hi-Tech Plywood firm owned by Chinese businessman George Tan of Isabela City. They were kidnapped on November 10, 2009 by 30 bandits who broke into the compound of the plywood firm in Barangay Marketsite, Maluso town.

Mendoza said after Lu and Tan were rescued, they were brought to the hospital for recovery and for Lu to be intubated because he could not urinate.

“Ooperahan sana siya for dialysis para tanggalin ang mga dumi sa katawan niya at lagyan ng tubo dahil hindi siya nakakaihi,” Mendoza said.

Puruganan, meanwhile, said that Tan was released from the hospital since he already recuperated.

Earlier, Mendoza said the kidnappers of the Chinese nationals were forced to abandon the hostages, citing they were continuously pursued when sighted by combined police forces in Basilan province.

The pursuit operations still continue, with the police and military ordered by the Crisis Management Committee to launch them. (Bong Garcia/Sunnex)