TACLOBAN health officials have intensified their campaign against dengue and measles following the reported increase in the number of dengue cases in the city.
“After identifying the threats, we immediately had surveillance and fumigation. We also dispatched additional health personnel to conduct monitoring and make sure that the cases will not anymore increase,” said City Health Officer Dr. Jaime Opinion.
The official said dengue cases were recorded highest in Barangays 109 V&G, 106 Sto. Nino, 91 Abucay, 107 Sta. Elena and 97 Cabalawan.
At least 333 dengue cases with two deaths were recorded as of June 30.
Opinion urged the residents to keep their surroundings clean and not to refuse immunization.
Measles cases also heightened as early as March with 263 confirmed cases and seven deaths, but it gradually decreased after the massive immunization drive, the City Government said.
“Almost 20,000 were vaccinated and this covers 91 percent. I guess that was high enough because we focused on the vaccination which resulted to even have zero cases in one week,” Opinion said in a statement.
“That is how aggressive the City Mayor’s Office and the City Health Office, of course, the Department of Health. We encourage everyone to get vaccinated because this is all for free,” said Opinion.
A free vaccination is also set in 40 elementary and high schools starting July 15 to September.
The City Government also attributed the cases of measles to the low rate of immunization last year caused by the dengvaxia controversy, according to Henry James Roca of the City Information Office. (SunStar Philippines)