SECTIONS
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
CEBU

Duterte hints at Loot’s return to anti-narco ops

THE Police Regional Office 7 will act upon the information that former Daanbantayan, Cebu mayor Vicente Loot has resumed his illegal drug operations after being out of the public eye for a long time.

“Actually, that’s the President’s guidance to find out because President Rodrigo Duterte is suspecting, maybe he has received new information that Loot has become active (in illegal drug operations) again,” PRO 7 Director Debold Sinas said in Cebuano on Friday, July 12, 2019.

Duterte in a speech in Malacañang on Monday, July 8, took a swipe again at the former Daanbantayan mayor for his involvement in the illegal drugs and wondered why Loot is still alive.

“Buhay pa man siguro hanggang ngayon. [laughter] Pati ‘yang p***** i** Loot na ‘yan, general ng pulis. Nakita ko siya, sabi ko, “Ikaw, p***** i** ka. Isa ka pa.” It’s treason, actually. Police general ka, papasok ka ng ganun. Tsk. Ayon, dalawang beses na inambush ang buang. Buhay pa rin. [laughter] Pangatlo na. G***,” the President said.

(I think he is still alive. Including that son of a w**** Loot. I saw him and I told him, you son of a w****. It’s treason, actually. You are a police general and you will engage in this. Tsk. He was ambushed twice and he is still alive. Third time. S***.)

Sinas said the Regional Intelligence Division (RID) is now monitoring Loot’s whereabouts.

“As of now, I will not yet comment on the progress of the investigation. I will leave that up to our President,” he said in Cebuano.

In 2018, Sinas said they were not monitoring Loot’s whereabouts despite the president’s pronouncement that Loot, then Daanbantayan mayor, was a drug protector.

Loot was named by Duterte as one of the five former police generals in the narco-list in 2016, an accusation Loot has repeatedly denied.

In May 2018, Loot and his family survived an ambush by five armed men in the New Maya Port in Daanbantayan.

Several days later Loot was hospitalized after he accidentally shot himself in the leg while inside his car.

Since the May 2018 ambush though, Loot had been out of the public eye after saying he “fears for his life” due to the President’s pronouncement.

In August he filed for a leave of absence asking then Cebu governor Hilario Davide III for an authority to travel to the United States.

He was last seen in public eye upon his return to Daanbantayan municipal town hall on January 4, 2019.

Loot did not seek reelection in the last May 2019 midterm elections and his stepson Sun Shimura ran in his stead.

Superbalita Cebu sought for Shimura’s reaction but Shimura declined due to security reasons. (with SCG of SuperBalita Cebu/WBS/VLA)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph