SECTIONS
Sunday, August 25, 2019
CEBU

Tumulak seeks review of Rehab of water treatment facility

AFTER residents in Barangay Kalunasan, Cebu City complained of the foul smell coming from waste water, Councilor Dave Tumulak wants the City to fast-track the review of the water treatment facility rehabilitation.

On Monday night, July 8, 2019, the waterways located near the Cebu City Jail and Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center overflowed due to the heavy rain, causing a foul smell in the area.

Tumulak, committee on disaster risk reduction management, safety, and climate change adaptation chairman, said he had been receiving complaints from nearby residents for the past few days.

Tumulak said the previous administration already appropriated P2 million for the construction of a water treatment facility. What he wants now is for the new administration to check these documents.

“We need to review the documents (to find out) what is the status (of the construction), if it was really installed,” said

Tumulak.

He said the water treatment facility has to be installed to address the health concerns of the residents of the City Jail, the CPDRC and the nearby houses.

The water treatment facility is used to mitigate the odor of the waste water that can cause pollution of the waterway.

Tumulak recalled there was already a facility; however, this was damaged. That is why a project for its rehabilitation was approved.

He will be coordinating with the City Jail, as well as the Cebu Provincial Government, which is in charge of the CPDRC, on mitigation matters to lessen the impact of the foul smell while the water treatment facility’s rehabilitation has yet to be realized.

Tumulak said there is a need to fast-track its construction, as this is the best solution yet. He added this is also timely since the number of residents inside the jail is growing.

As of Saturday, the Department of Public Services of Cebu City has been doing regular suction to lessen the impact of the waste water.

Drainage

Meanwhile, Cebu City Councilor Anthony Cuenco, in a privilege speech during the 15th City Council session on July 9, emphasized the need to find solutions to the drainage problems in the city.

He encouraged the Council to allocate P20 million to solve the drainage problem and asked the Cebu City Committee on Public Services to identify the barangays which have a major problem with their drainage system.

He also urged residents in every barangay to properly dispose of their garbage and to avoid using single-use plastics.

Cuenco also asked the body for the widening of the waterways in the city.

Councilor Jerry Guardo, meanwhile, said the Department of Public Works and Highways has already completed the Comprehensive Drainage Master Plan as per the request of Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella. This will be used for clearing, cleaning and declogging operations.

On July 23, the Council will have an executive session to discuss further the issue as per the corollary motion agreed by the City Council. (JJL)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph