AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD boy died of dengue in La Trinidad, Benguet on Wednesday, July 17. The child was confined in a hospital for five days.
Benguet Provincial Health Officer Nora Ruiz said Friday, July 19, that the number of dengue cases in Benguet has increased, stressing that from January 1 to June 2019, there were already 451 cases compared to the 346 recorded in the same period last year.
Four more dengue deaths were reported this year, said Ruiz.
The deaths involve a 20-year-old victim from Tuba, a three years old and 55 years old from Itogon, and a 58 years old from Bokod.
In 2018, there were two recorded deaths. In 2017, there were no fatality recorded.
"It increased. In fact, to date, we have five death cases since January to June this year. We are strengthening the information education campaign (IEC) and we are also trying to request additional IEC materials," she added.
Ruiz urged the 13 municipalities of Benguet to practice the 4S, especially the search and destroy to get rid of the breeding areas of mosquitoes.
Ruiz said they have penned the governor to allow female students not to wear uniforms but wear civilian clothing and pants to prevent mosquito bites.
She also urged schools to fully cover the windows with curtains to prevent the entry of mosquitoes.
Ruiz reiterated the 4S strategy to combat the spread of dengue. The 4S stands for Search and destroy mosquito breeding sites; Self-protective measures of using mosquito repellant and wearing long sleeves; Say yes to fogging; and Seek early consultation when signs of the disease appear.
Dengue is a virus transmitted by female mosquitoes.