SECTIONS
Friday, August 23, 2019
BACOLOD

Guv urges vigilance as PNP raises alert level

GOVERNOR Eugenio Jose Lacson urges everyone to stay safe and be vigilant amid terror threat.

“That is a very serious concern. All we have to do is to prepare. That has also to be verified. Our police is not taking that for granted. So they have to secure all the areas,” Lacson said.

Lacson made the reaction as the police declared full alert status after authorities and the military received information that terrorists are planning to target several churches.

“We should be vigilant not only the authorities but all Negrenses should also stay safe. We are hoping that they are not here or in the country,” Lacson said.

BCPO spokesperson, Police Lt. Colonel Ariel Pico, said their units are placed on “full alert” status although the information is not credible but they are not taking any chances.

“There is a threat since several months ago, but it has not yet been fully validated,” he said.

Pico also pointed out the “full alert” status was made in response to last week’s robbery of a shopping mall in the city along with the current company dispute within the Vallacar Transit Incorporated.

Earlier, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has received an intelligence memo that two Sri Lankan-nationals with links to the Islamic State (IS) are planning to conduct attacks on what the IS stated as “crusader” churches in Luzon.

However, the AFP is also expressing doubts to the veracity of the report. (TDE)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph