SECTIONS
Sunday, September 15, 2019
DAVAO

Kadayawan security preparations a ‘perfect 10’

(Photo by Macky Lim)

DAVAO City Vice Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte rated the city’s security measures in the 34th Kadayawan sa Dabaw celebration a “perfect 10”.

Duterte, who served as the acting city mayor, said organizers and the security forces recorded no untoward incident since the annual festival officially opened on August 2.

“Grabe among preparations ani nga event. Our inter-agency communication is almost everyday (We had really worked hard in preparation for this event. We have daily inter-agency communication),” Duterte told the media Saturday, August 17, after the Indak Indak sa Kadayawan at San Pedro Square.

The Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC), in a previous report, said a total of 27,560 personnel coming from the safety, security forces and law enforcement agencies, were deployed in the city to secure the month-long celebration of the Kadayawan.

Meanwhile, the San Pedro Square, which is the venue of the recently-concluded Indak Indak and Pamulak float parade on August 24, was declared as a “maximum security zone” area to further strengthen the security in its premises.

Policies as the “No Backpack Policy” and “No Jacket Policy” are strictly being imposed.

Duterte, meanwhile, said he is enjoying his stint as an acting mayor since his sister Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, filed a medical leave until September.

It is also his first time to celebrate the annual city festival as a politician and an executive head.

“Okay lang man. Medyo daghan ko gina-adtuan pero wala man na’y kaso. Lipay man ko (I’ve been attending various events lately, but it’s actually okay. I don’t mind at all. I’m actually enjoying it),” Duterte said.

City Tourism Operations Office (CTOO) head Generose Tecson said they had been receiving positive feedback from the tourism sector, particularly from the hotel businesses.

She, however, said the total number of tourist arrivals would still be determined after the culmination of the festival.

She said tourist arrivals would be based on hotel occupancies and receipts.

“At least daw ngayon, from start palang, even after the Kadayawan activities, meron pa ring bookings (It has been better now because from the start until right after the Kadayawan activities, they are still receiving hotel bookings),” Tecson said.

She also said the city hopes to generate more revenue from the tourism side, which is the reason why Kadayawan was stretched into a month-long celebration.

The tourism head said they did not encounter much problems during the first few days. She said the monsoon waves or hanging habagat, which caused the huge waves in coastal areas in the city, was seen as a possible cause for the cancellation of the Dragon Boat Festival.

“Buti nalang nag-cooperate ang weather during that time (Good thing the weather cooperated during that time),” Tecson said.

She added they will hold a post-Kadyawan evaluation to prepare for next year’s festival.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph