SECTIONS
Thursday, September 19, 2019
BACOLOD

85% of Bacolod villages comply road clearing ops

ABOUT 85 percent of the villages in Bacolod City already complied with the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte to rid public streets of obstructions to facilitate the orderly use of thoroughfares.

Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran said Tuesday, August 20, of 61 barangays, most of them already demolished the illegal structures within their areas of jurisdiction.

He said they are now consolidating the reports of the barangays to be submitted to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

He added the barangay officials distributed the notices to the affected residents so they can voluntarily remove their illegal structures.

Familiaran noted that this is in pursuant to Memorandum Circular No. 2019-121 dated July 29, 2019 of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) directing the local government officials, from the mayors down to barangay captains, to implement the clearing of roads.

In DILG Memorandum Circular No. 2019-121 it stated that within 60 calendar days, significant results must be achieved, documented, and reported together with the efforts of the local government units to sustain the same.

“So far, most of our constituents were also cooperating with the barangay (village) officials to voluntarily remove their illegal structures, and we are thankful for their cooperation,” Familiaran said.

Aside from the villages, he said the City Legal Office Enforcement Unit has an ongoing demolition in the areas of Libertad Public Mart and the Bacolod Vendor’s Plaza in Barangay 12.

He added on August 27, the city will hold a dialogue with the sidewalk vendors to transfer them to the Vendor’s Plaza.

Meanwhile, Ma. Joy Maredith Madayag, director of DILG-Bacolod, said they already received the reports of some of the villages and they are still waiting the reports of other villages so they can submit it to the regional office.

She said the villages were tasked to submit their complete reports to the City Mayor’s Office (CMO) then, the CMO will submit it to the DILG.

“So far, several of our streets here were already cleared including the illegal electrical posts of Central Negros Electric Cooperative (Ceneco). We saw that Bacolod complied with the directive,” she added.

Madayag said it’s expected that by October, all the villages will comply with the directive of President Duterte.

“The monitoring in the barangays will continue quarterly to ensure that the illegal structures will not be constructed again,” Madayag said.

She said the erring barangay officials who fail to comply the directive will face administrative charges for gross negligence and dereliction of duty. (MAP)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph