POLICE are looking into possible operational and administrative lapses of AY-76 security agency whose five guards detailed at the Minergy quarry site in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental were disarmed by around 15 communist rebels last week.
Misamis Oriental Police Director Robert Roy Bahian said the security personnel should have remained alert even in conducting road security.
Bahian identified the guards as Jess Saraos, Roel Equiti, Mardo Jamon, Alex Daguim and George Hingcayog. He said some of them are former members of the Philippine Army.
"They were caught flat-footed. Accordingly, gapamahaw daw sila. Maski mamahaw, dapat naa isa on guard," Bahian said. "Maybe they were complacent but we are still investigating."
Authorities said the New People's Army (NPA) fighters disarmed and forcibly took at gunpoint the security guards' AK47 rifles, boots, cellphone and ammunition.
The victims were, however, unharmed as the NPA combatants fled the area.
Meanwhile, Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde ordered Tuesday, August 20, a thorough investigation on the disarming incident.
This prompted Bahian to also order the investigation section to conduct a lateral probe into the incident.
Bahian said private security guards are restricted to hold firearms bigger than caliber .38 revolver.
"We are investigating this also in coordination with the civilian security unit," Bahian said.
He said the victims confirmed the identities of some NPA attackers through the police's gallery of NPA members.
"Naa tay file photo and database sa mga NPA ug atong gipatan-aw sa mga guards ug duna silay gipangtudlo nga maoy nagti-on sa ila," he added.
Bahian said the police are preparing to file charges for grave threat, robbery and violation of the international humanitarian law against the identified suspects.