TUBA, Benguet -- Kennon Road will remain closed to traffic due to the recent rockslide, and only people living in the area can use it, officials said.
The Cordillera Regional Disaster Reduction and Management Council-Task Force Kennon Road convened for a meeting Monday, August 19, to discuss the situation of Kennon Road following the rockslide early this week.
Tuba Mayor Clarita Sal-ongan said the residents had asked that the road be opened only for them.
Camp 4 barangay captain Romy Salinas said the 34-kilometer national road is home to 10,000 people.
Meanwhile, Sal-ongan said that during heavy rains last week, four families near Camp 5 in Kennon were evacuated to safety.
She said they have asked the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to man Camp 1 to monitor entry of non-residents.
Portions of Kennon Road, particularly along Sitio Camp 5, had a rockslide, prompting the temporary closure of the road, as the DPWH and private contractors are conducting clearing operation.