DENGUE cases in Negros Occidental has risen by 67 percent compared to the same period last year.
Based on data of the Provincial Health Office (PHO), from January 1 to August 24 of this year, they have recorded 6,641 cases in the province compared to 4,327 reported in the same period last year.
PHO data also showed that there are already 49 dengue deaths this year.
The PHO’s Morbidity Week 34 also show a total of 398 new cases.
Kabankalan City has the highest number of dengue-related cases with 972, followed by Bago City with 597.
The town of Candoni also recorded an increase in the percentage of dengue cases with the town reporting 179 dengue cases compared to last year’s 59 cases.
Despite the increase however, Dr. Ernell Tumimbang, Provincial Health Officer noted that the current graphs show that the cases are on a downtrend compared to the previous weeks.
Tumimbang said the highest cases they recorded are from week 29 to 30 which is the peak and after which the cases either increased or decreased further.
The PHO head said the provincial government’s efforts to control the spread of dengue is working and they need to sustain the drive in the coming months.
“It is impossible to eliminate it, but at least we can control it down,” Tumimbang added.